- January 26, 2023 at 5:36 pm #26792
Hi Lynda –
1) If cadence isn’t specified, does it matter? For example, I did the L4 3×6 and rode what felt right (near 100 for the intervals, slower in zone 1). I’m on a trainer atm.
2) The tech skills work – the trails are either snow-covered or muddy this time of year. I’ll get out if it clears off enough to make it work. Otherwise…something equivalent time-wise on the trainer/other cardio (like skate ski?)?
And I don’t have an event date. Best guess is a 50-60 mile MTB ride/(not race) late may, and I’m considering 100 miles mid-july. I did the HC100 last year, and don’t have time to travel this year for it, but may do my own thing around here.
- January 27, 2023 at 10:40 am #26793LyndaKeymaster
1) If the cadence is not specified, ride at your most preferred self-selected cadence that feels most efficient to you. For most cyclists this is in the 75 – 105 rpm range. Near 100 for the intervals, slower in zone 1 is super!
2) Something aerobic in HR zones 1-2 is best. Outside on skate skis is a perfect fit if you have a flat enough course to ski in those HR zones. The trainer is fine too but getting outside and off the trainer is my first choice.
Thanks for numbering your questions. That makes answering then easy 🙂
- January 30, 2023 at 3:55 pm #26798
- March 6, 2023 at 10:08 am #26861
Hi Lynda – quick question.
(I now have a race date: High Cascades 100 7/15/23)
Question: I just redid the FTP test (end of week 6 of masters xc base training plan) and my FTP dropped by 10W. Should I enter the reduced FTP or keep the prior number?
Why is might be lower:
– It’s the first time I used your format. My prior several were Zwift’s FTP test. I did use the same route (Alpe du Zwift)
– This plan has been less challenging than the plan I was using prior (Zwift’s FTP builder). The intervals hurt less and are less frequent. So maybe I did lose fitness.
– I don’t rest as much as prescribed. For example, I have been doing 60 min level 2 rides instead of the optional 30 min recovery rides. I rock climb twice a week instead of yoga/core twice a week.That often means I add rock climbing to an hour level 2 ride, or to intervals. Or I’ll do a slow hour-long run instead of a 30 min slow ride. But this isn’t new. This is baseline for me.
Reasons I might want to keep the old number:
– I felt appropriately challenged at my prior FTP. The level 2 rides were pretty easy – even up to 3h (legs and butt were tired on that one). The intervals were manageable – hard by then end of the ride but manageable.
– Maybe it was an off day. My HR was higher, on average, than my last test but my power was lower.
I appreciate your insight.
- March 8, 2023 at 9:23 am #26867LyndaKeymaster
Using different testing formats make it difficult, if not inaccurate to compare results. Re-test using the Zwift test and compare that FTP number. Off days do happen.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.