- January 11, 2018 at 7:53 am #17933
I *was* following your 50 miler finishers plan after recovery from spine surgery (48y.o.) and just as I was ramping up, I got sick. The race I was targeting was this weekend (not doing that race). I have only been able to complete about 3 hours of training. I am determined to ride 49 miles/at least 5 hrs for my birthday on Jan 20th (mile/year). I struggled last weekend with elevation as my legs were giving up at 2K climbing, but the biggest issue was mental-I was alone. I have 2 training partners willing to ride with me on “race day” but there are differing opinions on what to do on the weekend prior (this weekend). On the training plan (which I haven’t been able to follow anyway!) it is a taper week (2 hrs). One partner thinks we should go for 35-40 miles THIS weekend and then 49 next weekend instead of taper. They are both men over 40 and are training for another event. We have found the least amount of climbing route for both this weekend and next, likely around 2500 ft.
Thanks in advance!
- January 11, 2018 at 8:03 pm #17935
That is a bummer to get sick right before your peak race.
I need a little more info in order to give accurate advise for this weekend:
1. How far along the 50 mile plan were you when you got sick and stopped training?
2. Are you 100% healthy now?
- January 11, 2018 at 9:28 pm #17936
Thanks for your help!
1) Yes, 100% healthy now, just not very fit.
2) I was at week 5 (after being off the bike and all exercise except walking for 4 months post surgery). I was then on and off riding due to some respiratory thing, never completely off. Then, I actually never got above 3 hours on long ride weekends. I did 3 hours last weekend, but barely.
- January 11, 2018 at 9:29 pm #17937
Would stats help? Fitness = 42, Fatigue = 55, Form = -10
- January 12, 2018 at 11:07 am #17939
Great to hear you are now 100% healthy!!
Thanks for the additional info. I recommend doing a “long” ride this weekend that is half the distance and elevation gain of your goal on Jan 20th. That will increase your fitness for Jan 20th without creating fatigue that will carry over to your goal-event.
- January 14, 2018 at 10:11 pm #17950
Thanks for the advice! I did 25 miles/2100′ of climbing. Our plan is to ride 49 miles/2500′ this weekend for my birthday 🙂 I think this will work! Should I follow the final week of the Finisher 50 mile plan?
Thank you so much!
- January 15, 2018 at 1:23 pm #17953
Yes, follow the final week of the Finisher 50 mile plan.
Have a great ride!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.