- January 23, 2019 at 8:23 pm #19446
Lynda, I plan to do the Big Frog 65 on April 27th and the Leadville 100 on August 10th of this year. The longest endurance event I have complete is a 55 mile mountain bike event last Fall. I also completed another 50 miler earlier last year. My goal for both events is to complete the events and, in the case of Leadville, ideally within 12 hours. I am 49 years old.
I currently own the 40+ Masters 50 Mile Mountain Bike Race Personal Record Plan and the 100km Mountain Bike Race – Personal Record Plan. I have been training 4 – 6 hours per week over the winter and have a good base fitness.
What would you recommend I use to train for these events? Should I consider the Masters 40+ 100 Mile Personal Record Plan?
- January 24, 2019 at 9:09 am #19447
I recommend you follow our Masters 40+ 50 Mile Mountain Bike Personal Record Mountain Bike Training Plan to train for Big Frog and our Masters 40+ 100 Mile Mountain Bike Personal Record training plan to train for Leadville.
- January 25, 2019 at 6:36 am #19448
Thank you. Should I scale up long rides on the 50 mile plan for the 65 mile race, such as adding 25% duration or something like?
- January 25, 2019 at 9:18 am #19449
Do not scale up the plan. For best results, stick to the plan. It is designed to optimize the weekly training energy you have and is perfect for the Big Frog 65 distance/duration.
- January 25, 2019 at 9:32 am #19450
Coach – Great. Thanks!
- January 26, 2019 at 4:37 pm #19452
Coach – I need some advise on modifications to the 40+ 50 Mile Mountain Bike Personal Record Plan. This plan will start on February 4th.
1. I would like to do the Tour de Sufferlandria event which involves daily high intensity videos starting on Saturday, February 2nd and finishing on Sunday, February 10th (880 cumulative TSS over the 9 days). I will need a week to recover from this event, so that would mean I would be able to start your 50 mile plan on February 18th which would be week 3 of the plan, also a recovery week. I could do the FTP test that week. How should I start the plan?
2. I have an “B” event on April 6th, the Quantico Epic 50. It occurs on the Saturday of week 9 of the plan (assuming that stays the same after the previous question). That week is a recovery week. Is that OK or should there be some changes to the plan around that time?
- January 30, 2019 at 9:02 am #19455
1. Start the plan on 2/18 and follow weeks 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12 (race week), 9 (rest week), 11, 12 (Big Frog race week).
2. See #1.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.