Home › MTB Training and Racing Forums › Athlete Support Forum › Denmark is flat!!
- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by onlynine.
- April 28, 2023 at 4:33 am #26951onlynineParticipant
I’m starting the Bikepacking Race Training Plan for 5-10 days on this comming monday (May 1st) in order to prepare for the IronBike in Italy in july.
My challenge is that the course requires ~10h of biking/hiking each day in a very hilly terrain. While i can prepare for the long hours – Denmark is virtually flat so it’s difficult to do very race specific training.
Do you have any advice as to how I could prepare for a lot of climbing – without any mountains/hills?
- April 28, 2023 at 9:34 am #26952LyndaKeymaster
Here are a few ideas on how to train for hills without hills:
– While in Denmark, take advantage of windy days. Pedal into strong winds to mimic the resistance found riding uphill.
– Travel to areas with hills for your overnight trips and higher volume training blocks.
– Ride the hill intervals on flat terrain in a bigger gear than normal to lower your cadence, increase pedal force and adapt your muscles to the similar efforts found while climbing hills.
– Find a short steep hill to hike-a-bike up. Do laps on this hill to accumulate hike-a-bike time.
- April 28, 2023 at 9:54 am #26953onlynineParticipant
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.