- October 10, 2021 at 7:51 pm #23552
Alright… so race week has arrived. Race is on Saturday. All the training the past weeks will lead to this. I have some unfinished business with this race course from last year. Even the past weekend rides have ben on the actual course to get a “ritual” going, minus the traveling as I have a hotel nearby. I have some questions.
– I am following the 50 mile finisher plan. Because of the race being Saturday, which of the two workout days I should combine? I am thinking the warmup thats posted for the day before with foam rolling.
– Speaking of the warmup, what is recommended for race day? Race will start at 8:30a, with the second and third wave going 5 minutes after. Pre race meeting is at 8am. While some warmup could be done at the beginning of the course, I would prefer not as a kinda kickass climb comes in one mile into the race.
Thanks for any responses and looking forward to get my target done.
- October 11, 2021 at 4:44 pm #23554
I recommend missing out Wednesday. Move the following days up to pull race day onto Saturday.
The best warm-up is done during the 20-30 mins prior to starting. Do you have this time available after the meeting and before you need to get to the start line to stage?
- October 12, 2021 at 9:44 am #23557
Thanks for the reply.
Quick update going into raceday:
-Friday looks like it will be raining all day, so pre riding the course (or anywhere) will be hard. Is there an alternative? Probably if it stops raining I could go around the first mile which has a slight uphill. I can figure it out in the park.
– I plan going with wave #2 (8:35a) I would say that the time should be available, but based on the time you suggest for warmup, 20 minutes should be what I am shooting for.
- October 12, 2021 at 10:48 am #23559
Friday: It is always a good plan to keep your race bike clean for race day! Follow the same ride duration and intensity as prescribed for the pre-ride but stick to non-mucky dirt or stay on the pavement. If you are a regular indoor trainer user it is ok to do this ride on the trainer. If you are not adapted to the trainer it is a better choice to ride pavement or take the day off if outside conditions are terrible.
Race Day: Spin easily for 10 mins prior to the 8:35 am meeting in HR zones 1-2. After the meeting, spin for another 5 mins in HR zones 1-2 then 5 mins in zone 3. Check the start-line situation and stage at this point if needed. If you have more time, take 1 min to gradually build from HR zone 1 to 4, then 3 mins easy in zone 1. Check the start-line situation again. If time, repeat the 1 min gradual build up to HR zone 4 then 3 min HR zone 1. Now line up on the start. You are ready to race!
Have a great race. Post in our Athlete Stories and Race Reports Forum and let me know how it goes. I always love to read race reports!!
- October 12, 2021 at 1:27 pm #23563
Ok, sounds good.
One thing that may need clarification. For the 10 minutes easy spin, is that before the 8:35am wave start or did you mean before the 8am pre race meeting? I am assuming the latter as it makes more sense to do the other warmup spins and assess start situation.
- October 12, 2021 at 3:16 pm #23564
Sorry. The latter. Before the 8am pre-race meeting.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.