Mountain bike training plans. Mountain bike coaching.

Start Training

50 mile pre race prep

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by AvatarLynda.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Alright… so race week has arrived. Race is on Saturday. All the training the past weeks will lead to this. I have some unfinished business with this race course from last year. Even the past weekend rides have ben on the actual course to get a “ritual” going, minus the traveling as I have a hotel nearby. I have some questions.

– I am following the 50 mile finisher plan. Because of the race being Saturday, which of the two workout days I should combine? I am thinking the warmup thats posted for the day before with foam rolling.

– Speaking of the warmup, what is recommended for race day? Race will start at 8:30a, with the second and third wave going 5 minutes after. Pre race meeting is at 8am. While some warmup could be done at the beginning of the course, I would prefer not as a kinda kickass climb comes in one mile into the race.

Thanks for any responses and looking forward to get my target done.

Keymaster

Hi Zpdelrio,

I recommend missing out Wednesday. Move the following days up to pull race day onto Saturday.

The best warm-up is done during the 20-30 mins prior to starting. Do you have this time available after the meeting and before you need to get to the start line to stage?

Coach Lynda

Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Quick update going into raceday:

-Friday looks like it will be raining all day, so pre riding the course (or anywhere) will be hard. Is there an alternative? Probably if it stops raining I could go around the first mile which has a slight uphill. I can figure it out in the park.

– I plan going with wave #2 (8:35a) I would say that the time should be available, but based on the time you suggest for warmup, 20 minutes should be what I am shooting for.

Keymaster

Friday: It is always a good plan to keep your race bike clean for race day! Follow the same ride duration and intensity as prescribed for the pre-ride but stick to non-mucky dirt or stay on the pavement. If you are a regular indoor trainer user it is ok to do this ride on the trainer. If you are not adapted to the trainer it is a better choice to ride pavement or take the day off if outside conditions are terrible.

Race Day: Spin easily for 10 mins prior to the 8:35 am meeting in HR zones 1-2. After the meeting, spin for another 5 mins in HR zones 1-2 then 5 mins in zone 3. Check the start-line situation and stage at this point if needed. If you have more time, take 1 min to gradually build from HR zone 1 to 4, then 3 mins easy in zone 1. Check the start-line situation again. If time, repeat the 1 min gradual build up to HR zone 4 then 3 min HR zone 1. Now line up on the start. You are ready to race!

Have a great race. Post in our Athlete Stories and Race Reports Forum and let me know how it goes. I always love to read race reports!!

Coach Lynda

Participant

Ok, sounds good.

One thing that may need clarification. For the 10 minutes easy spin, is that before the 8:35am wave start or did you mean before the 8am pre race meeting? I am assuming the latter as it makes more sense to do the other warmup spins and assess start situation.

Keymaster

Sorry. The latter. Before the 8am pre-race meeting.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.