Mountain bike training plans. Mountain bike coaching.

Start Training

24 hour race training program

Home MTB Training and Racing Forums Athlete Support Forum 24 hour race training program

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Lynda 6 months ago.

• Author
    Jacko
    Participant

Hi Lynda,
    I have recently done your MTB Masters base program followed by the Masters 100 mile PR program. This was completed with a view to riding the West Highland Way in one day. I did this on the 18th June in 18hrs 52minutes moving time. This included 4 hrs 5 mins of Bike carry/push, and not a great deal of riding, along the banks of Loch Lomond. (Those banks weren’t as ‘bonny’ as I’d expected).
    I’m looking to do a 24 hour race on 10th February 2019.
    I can’t find a Masters 24 hour program. I am 67 years old and I guess the 2 x 24 hour programs available will be too much for my slower recovery.
    What would you suggest please.

PS. Thank you for your help and advice regarding my West Highland Way quest. The programs coupled with your advice worked very well.

Best Regards.
    Keith.

Lynda
    Keymaster

Keith,

Congrats on completing the West Highland Way in one day!

We do not have a masters 24 hour solo program. I recommend following our 24 hour PR plan and cutting it back to match your own recovery speed. Start by dropping weeks 3 and week 7 from the plan and inserting an extra recovery week for yourself between weeks 10 and 11.

Each training week drop 1-2 of the higher intensity shorter rides and one of the longer endurance rides, leaving only 1 HIT workout and one long ride on the plan each week.

Coach Lynda

Jacko
    Participant

Hi Lynda,
    My plans for next year have changed slightly. I still want to do a 24 hour event but this will now be in June and not February as originally stated.
    In early April I’m looking to do the Caingorm Loop (2 day bike pack). In Mid may I’m thinking of the Argyle and Bute Trail, (3/4 day bike pack) and late summer, probably August the route of the Highland 550 (6/7 ‘sh day bike pack). I’ve done quite a few big days out on the bike this year, but I’ve never done a bike pack trip. I’ve tended to do B&B which usually limits the daily miles.

1. Do I still need the 24 hour PR program or will the multi day ride training carry me through.
    2. Which of your programs do you suggest I follow to achieve this.
    3. Is the time period for these ride too ambitious, I’m concerned about recovery.

I’m sorry to mess you about by changing my mind, but these rides seem too good to miss. I love Scotland.

Best regards.

Keith.

Lynda
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

How many weeks do you have between each of these events? Please use numbers and dates. The terms “early”, “mid” and “late” are too vague for me to understand and respond to accurately.

For example if there is only 2 weeks between your “mid” May bikepack trip and the June 24 hour race then that is a plan I would not recommend following through on. However if you have 6 weeks between them it would work but I can’t decipher that currently from your schedule descriptions.

Lynda

Jacko
    Participant

Hi Lynda,
    I apologise for the vague schedule. The only definite date I had was the 21st of June 2019 for 24 hour.
    However, your reply has kicked me in to setting dates for these rides, thank you for that, I should have realised.
    10th April – 2 day bikepacking Cairngorm Loop, 186 miles.
    10th May – 3/4 day bikepacking Argyle & Bute Trail, 356 miles.
    21st June – Mountain Mayhem 24 hour.
    12th August- Highland 550 route. 6/7 days bikepacking 536 miles. (This is not the official race, just a ride of the route)
    Only the 24 hour is an actual race, the others are rides that we would like to do and enjoy rather than race. The 24 hour is in there simply because I’ve never done one.
    My main concern is whether my 67 year old recovery will cope with this schedule.

Thank you
    Best Regards.
    Keith.

Lynda
    Keymaster

Keith,

This is a big schedule. So long as you pace and fuel yourself conservatively, stay healthy and sleep full nights I think you can do it!

I recommend you start training on Oct 15th with our
    12-week Masters 40+ Mountain Bike Base Mountain Bike Training Plan. On Jan 7th, progress on to our 12-week, 2 – 5 day Bikepacking Race Mountain Bike Training Plan. This plan will end at your 2 day bikepacking Cairngorm Loop. After that event focus on recovery and fitness maintenance for the rest of the summer.

Coach Lynda

Jacko
    Participant

Hi Lynda,
    I’ve just bought your 2-5 day bikepacking race program as you advised.
    Do you have any advice with regards to tailoring it to suit my more senior (67) recovery speed please.
    Things seem to be going well at the moment but I don’t want to overdo it. As you say in your description of this program, ‘it’s aggressive’.

All the very best for the New Year and the remainder of the Christmas Holidays.

Best regards

Keith.

Lynda
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

In training weeks 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, drop 1 of the higher intensity shorter rides and one of the longer endurance rides, leaving only 1 HIT workout and one long ride on the plan each week.

In training weeks 4, 5 and 9 drop all high intensity rides and keep all endurance rides in the plan. These are the weeks with over-night bikepacking training rides.

Cut back further anytime you feel you need more recovery and your legs are too tired to complete the next ride on your plan.

Happy New Year to you!

Coach Lynda

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.