Mountain bike training plans. Mountain bike coaching.

Start Training

2024 plan stacking

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Linda,

I had a great year in 2023 after following your Cross Country Base Plan through the winter and then the Master’s 50-mile PR plan ending May 25 and then again ending Aug 5 (I’m 55 years old this year). I’m planning to do the same set of races in 2024 as in 2023, but will be adding the Hundo in June (assuming I can get in).
      Currently I’m on week 9 of the XC Base Plan and my stack idea is move to the Master’s 50-mile PR plan ending on May 25 for the Gunnison Growler. But the Hundo is three weeks after the Growler, so I’d like your advice how to best make this work. Here’s are the races and dates:

May 25 – Gunnison Growler – about 35 miles, 4500 ft climbing
      Jun 15 – Hundo – 65 miles, 7600 ft
      Jun 29 – Winter Park Point to Point, 20-25 miles
      Jul 27 – Winter Park Super Loop, 20-25 miles
      Aug 3 – Steamboat Emerald Epic – 52 miles, 6600 ft
      Aug 17 – Winter Park Tipperary Creek – 20-25 miles

I think of the Winter Park races as sort of ‘B’ races, but I always feel like I ride them like ‘A’ races, so maybe they aren’t really Bs. They are short, but high elevation and pretty rocky.

My wife and I will probably do a couple gravel races on our tandem in the fall (Salida 76!), and hopefully do some big mountain tandem rides (Monarch Crest!) for fun, but I’ll probably just move back to the base plan after mid-August.

Thanks!

Keymaster

Hi Shaun,

I love hearing you had a great year in 2023! Looks like you have another super one in the works. That’s so good you are already on week 9 of the Base plan.

I like your plan up to Gunny Growler.

5/27 – Take 3 days off after Growler then do short easy zone 1-2 recovery rides for the remainder of the week
      6/3 – Week 11 of the 50 miler plan
      6/10 – Week 12 of the 50 miler plan
      6/17 – Take 3 days off after the Hundo then do short easy zone 1-2 recovery rides for the remainder of the week
      6/24 – Jump into the 50 miler at week 7 and follow it through to week 12 and another peak for Steamboat Emerald Epic on 8/3.

Coach Lynda

Participant

Thank you, Lynda. Much appreciated!

And sorry for misspelling your name in my original post!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.