Mountain bike training plans. Mountain bike coaching.

Start Training

20 Weeks till a 200km Gravel Event

Home MTB Training and Racing Forums Athlete Support Forum 20 Weeks till a 200km Gravel Event

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,
      I am training for a 200km gravel event with lots major of climbing. (9500ft from my Strava on previous year.)
      I have the endurance and need to build speed and want to smash the time form previous years and try to win a spot prize.
      Its 20 weeks away.
      My plan was to use your Masters xc build and peak plan for first bit of training, followed by your Master 100 mile personal best plan.
      Please advise.

I use kettle bells and do core training at least once , sometime twice a week, which really helps my ability to sit on bike and not get uncomfortable. ( done 3x 200km in the last 3 months on the road so base training pretty good.

Keymaster

Graham,

What is your goal finish time?

Lynda

Participant

Moving time last time was 13 hours, I was fairly cautious , and made sure I finished, not knowing how tough he route was, I do now!!
      Tended to spin up the hills to avoid blowing up.

5 weeks after this event I have a local 7 hour Endurance , Mtb multi lap event, one big climb (40 mins mins) , with some punchy gradients included, followed by a 20 min descent. this is high priority too! (complete as many laps as possible).

I was hoping to improve my sustained Power and not neglect harder mtb type efforts too!
      Knocking an hour off would be an achievement for the Gravel event, and I would possibly just finish in daylight!! i.e an extra 1mph

Main thing is to keep to my schedule , and be ready for both.
      Missed it last year due to opening a new business( Mtb Accommodation) , I would not have been “fresh” on the start line.

It is a tough event and just finishing is pretty satisfying.

For the Mtb event if I could gain a lap on prev events , it would move me well up the Leader Board for my Age Group, possible a contender. So aim is to have bottle handed up this time, feed and feed completey on the move, which should gain 15mins ,a fast start to avoid bottle neck (10/15 mins) and possibly another 30 mins from being fitter!!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by AvatarGraham.
      Keymaster

Graham,

Thanks for the additional info. I recommend you follow the Masters 40+ Cross Country Mountain Bike Build Peak and Race Mountain Bike Training Plan for 7-8 weeks and then follow all 12 weeks of the Masters 40+ 100 Mile Mountain Bike Personal Record training plan to peak for your 200km gravel event.

Take a week off for recovery after the 200km gravel event then repeat the 100 miler plan following weeks 6, (miss week 7), 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 to re-peak for your 7 hour multi lap event.

Lynda

Participant

Thanks Lynda,
      These plans are brilliant.

Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words!

Lynda

Participant

Hi Lynda

For my L5 efforts should I concentrate on pedalling efficiently at ideal rpm or go out of my comfort zone and practise lower rpm for hill climbing?
      Or faster rpm out of comfort zone again?
      Or mix it up a bit?
      On turbo I find 85 to 90 is my sweet spot.
      I can grind on a hill outside , but noticeable less comfortable/efficient doing this for a while indoors.
      Advice welcome.

Keymaster

Varying cadence is optimal. Do the first couple of intervals with quite a wide cadence range and then as your workout continues and fatigue sets in, reduce cadence to your most efficient and lowest PE range.

Lynda

Participant

Thanks.
      On the road, terrain dictates a lot of the time, but on the turbo, there is an option if the legs are working!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.