Mountain bike training plans. Mountain bike coaching.

Start Training

20 minute FTP test cut short

Home MTB Training and Racing Forums Athlete Support Forum 20 minute FTP test cut short

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Lynda 5 months ago.

• Author
    DBentley
    Participant

Hi Lynda. I saw in the guidelines that I should be posting new topics instead of adding to old ones so please forgive me for asking this twice.

I just attempted my second 20 minute test as per week 6 of the base program. There was a rock slide on the fire road uphill I was testing on so I had to cut the test short at 16:30 minutes. I was starting to fade a little on the last 3-4 minutes but I think i would have held steady at a similar level until 20 minutes.

1.Is there an adjustment I can make to the calculation to get a proper FTP for this shorter test effort or should I just redo the test sometime later after another easy week?

2. If I do use this test do I include my first 10-15 seconds which was showing a 200w-500w higher power spike than the rest of the effort to get my average power over the whole effort?

Lynda
    Keymaster

1. No. It’s just guess work and best estimates using your training data. Best option is to repeat the test accurately.

2. Yes. Use your best 20 min average power.

Coach Lynda

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.