- August 10, 2016 at 3:23 pm #15301cburmesterParticipant
Good morning Lynda,
I’m on week 2 of the 12 week 100km PR plan. Before I did last night session I searched the forums to make sure I was going to be doing the main set right. It was 12 x 30s max effort with 4.5 mins off between. I spun very easily on the flat before launching into an incline for the 30s. I got ‘further’ up the hill each time until about the 7th or 8th when I felt absolutely dead. The last 4 were a struggle but was still giving it my all for the 30 seconds.
First question, should I have stopped there or carried on like I did to finish the 12?
I don’t have a power meter so couldn’t measure the drop off but felt fairly significant.
Second question, did I perform these correctly?
Also, I had a 2.5 hour L3 Tempo ride with 90 mins of zone 3 to complete today. I really struggled on this ride and could still feel the effects from yesterday. As I train with HR it was either too high or too low and couldn’t maintain a constant z3 effort. Was a bunch ride though so that could have had something to do with it. Feel exhausted now.
Third and final question, what power meter do you recommend buying for a mountain bike?
- August 10, 2016 at 6:26 pm #15303LyndaKeymaster
1. Whenever you feel absolutely dead it is the correct decision to stop the workout and cool down.
2. Max effort means the max effort you can do for 12 x 30 seconds, not 1 x 30 secs or 6 x 30 secs. Pace your efforts to finish interval #12 without significant power fade.
Currently the Stages power meter is my pick for the best power meter on a MTB.
- August 10, 2016 at 7:07 pm #15304cburmesterParticipant
Thanks Lynda for the details. Will try maintain better pacing in the future. I suspect a power meter would help with that.
Have a great rest of the week and weekend ahead.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.